Wife Lila thought I needed new shoes.
(The old ones were only four years old. I had to admit that the right one felt somewhat uncomfortable, but then I found the problem was a nail that had gone all the way through the sole and insole and was sticking up about 1/16 of an inch into the footbed. I tried to convince her that taking out the nail would make them perfectly serviceable for another four years, but she disagreed. For what it’s worth, my old Red Wing work boots would have shrugged that nail off like nobody’s business.)
Anyway, on the way to the shoe emporium, I saw that another big piece of St. Francis Hospital had jumped out of the ground since my last visit.
$127 Million project
When I photographed the site in February, I found a Missourian story that said this was part of a $127 million expansion and renovation project.
Earlier St. Francis stories
- St. Francis growth between 1976 and 2011
- “Nun Circus” with vintage photos of fundraiser at old hospital
- Old hospital being torn down, plus photos of old neighborhood
- Vintage photos of old St. Francis laundry
- Dr. Herbert – pediatrician located across from St. Francis
- Last baby born in old hospital
- St. Francis mural
- Doctors Wilson and Estes