I get lots of requests for info and photos of Wimpy’s, Pfister’s, A&W Root Beer and, less frequently, Dog and Suds. The first three are long gone, but I had a nagging suspicion that the green building at 605 North Kingshighway, just south of the entrance to Arena Park, might be the latter.
While Mother and I were rambling about, I said, “I’m going to pull in, shoot first, then ask questions later.” And, I did.
Walking in the door, I told a guy that his hair didn’t look gray enough to know the answer on his own, but that he might have heard from someone else if this building had once been the Dog and Suds. He confirmed it had been. (By the way, The Missourian spelled it as Dog and Suds, not “Dog ‘n’ Suds,” the way I thought of it.
Lots of different things
That building had been used for lots of different things.
- April 29, 1958 – Preston Sign Co. to erect and install an electric noncombustible advertising sign at 605 North Kingshighway. Size, 7 feet by 8 feet and declared cost, $700.
- January 17, 1964 – Advertisement: Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Harrington have purchased and taken over the management of The Gas Lite Drive-in. We will feature Pit Barbecue and Frog Legs, and serve the choicest of foods. 10:00 A.M. to Midnight; 10 A.M. to 2:00 A,M. (on weekends).
- October 4, 1969 – D. and D. Plumbers have leased and moved into a building at 605 North Kingshighway. The firm [is] owned by David Franklin… The new location was leased from Barney Zimmerman, and until recently was used to house a restaurant.
- 1979 City Directory – The Flower Shoppe
- April 8, 2015 – Car Title Loans
4 Replies to “Dog and Suds”
Ken I believe it was also at one time a veterinarians office.
can’t think where it was. right south of liberty food giant? thom meyers place?
I remember it when it was The Gas Lite. Pretty good BB-Q and 3.2 draft beer for a quarter that they would serve to a 17 year old if you acted like you belonged there.
Having a 5 o’clock shadow by lunch time was why you looked like you belonged there Bristow! I was carded till 40 and still only have to shave every other day. “Rootbeer please”.