When I’m northbound on I-55 just south of Fruitland, I can’t keep from swiveling my neck to see how much bigger the hole on the east side of the road has grown.
Ernie Chiles and I did a flyover on August 13, 2014, to get a good look at it. The building with the blue roof in Saxony Lutheran High School.
A closer look
Here’s a view from the northwest looking southeast. I-55 is on the right.
I’ve done quite a few quarry stories. Here are some of them (including at least one where I misidentified the Fruitland quarries).
- Other aerial photos of the site taken in 2011.
- Aerial photos of Strack quarry on Hwy 74
- Which came first: Dalhousie or Strack Quarry on Hwy 74?
- Bulldozer goes over edge at Delta quarry
- Trail of Tears quarry rescue
- Cement plant quarry fills with water
- Cement plant quarry caves
- Tower Rock quarry exposed by low water
- Old Appleton Quarry aerials
- Blast collapses quarry caves
- African Methodist Church Cemetery next to Old Appleton quarry